Setting up a General Investment Account (GIA) for UK-based pension schemes, trusts, registered charities, companies and partnerships helps to simplify more complex products and helps those clients get added benefits from their investments. 

Getting started

We understand there’s a lot involved when setting up these types of investments, so we’ve put together a guide to make the process clearer, straightforward and clearly defined. We recommend reading this so you know exactly what we need and when.

Next steps

Once you’ve read our guide, you may wish to speak to your usual Aegon contact - to check that we can accept the application from the contracting party and to support you with any queries you may have. 

  1. Contact us on 0345 604 4001* to request an illustration. If required, we’ll also send you the Key features of the Aegon GIA and the Aegon Platform terms and conditions.
  2. You work with the contracting party to complete the relevant application form (available to download below). Then send to us together with any required supporting documents that are listed on the form.
  3. We’ll contact you to confirm that all our requirements have been met. Please don’t send any money to us until we’ve been in touch to say we can proceed with the application. Otherwise, we’ll return the money to the source.

*Our telephone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Call charges will vary. 

Things to consider

  • Money laundering regulations – we’ll perform anti-money laundering (AML) and know your customer (KYC) checks on all investors and key account parties at the point of application.
  • Overseas clients – we can only deal with clients who are registered in the UK. So we may not be able to open accounts if there’s key parties who control or own the client that are non-UK residents.
  • Tax residency – all applications must include a tax residency declaration.
  • Contracting parties – we’ll only accept applications from the owner of the assets themselves. We may ask any third party applicants to show they have the legal authority to open an account.
  • Certification of documents – make sure documents are certified by someone, such as an FCA-regulated financial adviser, an accountant, a solicitor, a notary public.