Terms11 June 2020 Back to results
Terms of service for accessing our website
It's important that you read this page. It contains important information. This page, together with the documents referred to on it (the “Terms of Service”) contain the terms and conditions by which you may use the Website (as described below).
www.aegon.co.uk is a website (called the “Website” in these Terms of Service) operated by Aegon UK Corporate Services Limited (We). We are registered in Scotland under company number SC170062 and have our registered office at Edinburgh Park, Edinburgh EH12 9SE.
We may revise these terms of service at any time, without notice to you.
Please read these Terms of Service carefully before you use the Website as these will apply to your use of the Website. By using or your accessing the Website, you accept and agree to comply with these Terms of Service. If you do not agree to these Terms of Service, you must not use the Website.
1. Information, not advice
The Website is subject to change without notice. The Website is not in any way an offer to sell our products. The Website only gives you information about the services, products and support we provide and, through which, you or your intermediary can submit an application for an:
- Aegon General Investment Account (GIA),
- Aegon Individual Savings Account (ISA),
- Aegon Lifetime Individual Savings Account (LISA) (where this is available to you), and/or
- Aegon SIPP,
and gives you information about the products that you hold with us and allows you to make changes to them.
We do not offer any financial or investment advice and nothing on this Website (or in any email you receive from us, see clause 6 (Email)) should be regarded as offering personal financial or investment advice and/or the provision of advice on the suitability of a Cofunds or Scottish Equitable plc product or an investment or fund.
2. Leaving the website
After you leave this website (whether knowingly or not), we are not responsible in any way for any other pages, websites, documents etc that you access, and the results of accessing them. WE do not accept any liability for your use of any third party website and resources. In particular, you may be going to a website whose originator is not authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
We are not responsible for the security of content of any non-Aegon websites which are linked to or from this website. Any link is not intended to be, nor should be construed as, an endorsement of any kind by us.
3. Copyright and trademarks
We grant you a revocable right to use the Website for your personal (non-commercial) use in accordance with these Terms of Service.
Copyright in the Website, any trade marks displayed on the Website, and all other logos and trading names, text, photographic and video images, sound recordings, and the design, layout and appearance of and graphics contained within the Website, are owned by Aegon UK plc or other Aegon group companies. All rights reserved.
You agree that you will not use any of the foregoing for any purpose whatsoever, except for the use of the Website as permitted under these Terms of Service.
4. United Kingdom residents
The Website is intended for the information and use of United Kingdom residents, who are aged 18 or over, only. We will provide information on the Website only in English. By using the Website you confirm that you are a United Kingdom resident aged 18 or over.
5. Downloading information
Please note that any downloading of software or information is done at your own risk. We do not warrant the suitability of anything that is downloaded and accept no liability for any problems that may arise as a result. If you're in any doubt about downloading anything, we recommend that you take specialist advice before downloading.
We do not guarantee that any email sent to us through the Website will be received, or that the contents will remain private during transmission. If you are concerned about this, then please consider other means of communication. You will be responsible for ensuring that any electronic message or information you send to us is free from any virus or defect that may harm our systems in any way , and that you are otherwise complying with clause 8 (Terms of acceptable use) below.
7. Website availability
We do not guarantee that the Website will be available at all times. Access to the Website is permitted on a temporary basis. Further, we reserve the right to withdraw the Website at any time without notice. Neither Aegon UK plc nor any other Aegon group company shall be liable to you or any third party in any way if the Website is unavailable or withdrawn at any time or for any period.
We reserve the right to suspend or terminate your access to the Website where we reasonably believe you have breached these Terms of Service, or there is fraudulent activity or a security breach (whether or not caused by you).
Where you have breached these Terms of Service, you acknowledge that we may also (i) take legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of our costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach; (ii) take any further legal action against you; and/ or (iii) disclose such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary.
8. Terms of acceptable use
We make the Website and forms of communication on the Website, such as, email available for you to use. Your use of the Website and email is subject to you not including and/or uploading any comment or material in an email that is, or could be construed as being:
- threatening or menacing,
- false, misleading or inaccurate,
- libellous or defamatory of any person,
- deceptive or fraudulent,
- invasive of another individual's privacy,
- offensive, and/or
You also agree that you shall not:
- do anything which may cause (whether on purpose or not) the introduction or spread of a virus, Trojan horse, logic bombs, spyware or any other programs designed to affect the operation of any computer software or hardware;
- attempt to gain unauthorised access to the Website, the server on which the Website is stored or any server, computer or database connected to the Website;
- attack the Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack;
- act dishonestly or unprofessionally;
- create a false identity on the Website;
- link to the Website:
- in a way that damages our reputation or takes advantage of it;
- in a way that suggests any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists;
- where the website does not belong to you; or
- where we have otherwise withdrawn permission to link to the Website;
- sell, rent, lease, redistribute, broadcast, publicly display, transmit, communicate, modify, sub-license or transfer or assign any part of the Website, or your rights to the Website (under these Terms of Service) to any third party;
- infringe the rights of us or of any other user of the Website, or any other third party: or
- use the Website unlawfully or fraudulently at any time.
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to suspend or terminate your access the Website and remove any comment or material if we consider, acting reasonably, or we reasonably believe another person may consider, that (i) any such posting or email contains such comment or material, or (ii) that you have breached our Fair Use Terms.
9. Social media
Aegon UK has "General social media participation guidelines" that apply to anyone accessing or posting to Aegon UK social media or blogs. Please read the guidelines carefully as they will apply to you in these circumstances.
(a) We have taken care concerning the accuracy and integrity of what is on this website. However, neither Aegon UK plc nor any other Aegon group company will be liable in any way for any errors and/or omissions concerning what is on, or is omitted from, this website.
(b) Neither Aegon UK plc nor any other Aegon group company will be liable in any way for the results of any unauthorised access to this website. Or any unauthorised alteration to this website.
(c) The terms of, and use of, this website shall be governed by the law of that part of the United Kingdom in which the user resides.
(d) The pages of this site may not, in whole or in part, be reproduced, copied, stored, transmitted, or used by any party except for the purpose of downloading for private, non-commercial viewing purposes or where we’ve given our prior written consent. You must not alter anything on this website. No material from this site may be used on any other website and no links may be created to this site without our prior written consent.
(e) We may make changes to the information on this site at any time without updating this page to reflect those changes and neither Aegon UK plc nor any other Aegon group company will be liable for errors, omissions or for information becoming out of date. If you’re in any doubt as to the accuracy and currency of any information on this site, or if you require any further information, please contact us.
(f) These Terms of Service (including the Privacy Statement and our "General social media participation guidelines") contain all the terms applicable to the use of the Website by you, and form the entire agreement between you and us.
(g) Each of the terms of these Terms of Service operates separately. If any court or competent authority decides that any of them are unlawful or unenforceable, the remaining conditions will remain in full force and effect.
(h) If we fail to insist that you perform any of your obligations, or if we do not enforce our rights against you, or if we delay in doing so, that will not mean that we have waived our rights against you and will not mean that you do not have to comply with those obligations. Any waiver would need to be given by us in writing.
(i) Users acknowledge that these Terms of Service do not create or imply any partnership, joint venture or trust relationship between us and you.
(j) We may transfer our rights and obligations under these Terms of Service to another organisation, but this will not reduce your rights or those obligations. You may not transfer your rights or obligations to another person.
(k) We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under these Terms of Service if that is caused by events outside our reasonable control, including any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control. Some examples of such an event are:
- Strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action;
- Civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war;
- Fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster;
- Impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport;
- Impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; or
- The acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government.
Our performance under these Terms of Service will be suspended for the period that such events set out above continues, and we will have an extension of time to carry out our obligations under these Terms of Service for the duration of that period. Where possible, we will use reasonable efforts to bring such event detailed above to a close or to find a solution.
11. Data protection
12. Products and investments
We make products and services available to you through the platform that you can access via the Website. The terms and conditions of the Aegon GIA, Aegon ISA, Aegon LISA (where this is available to you), the Aegon SIPP and the platform services that we provide in respect of these and certain other products are contained in a separate document entitled “the Aegon Platform terms and conditions”, together with additional terms and conditions documents for the Aegon LISA and Aegon SIPP and certain other products we may make available to you. Copies of these documents are available via the Website but those terms and conditions and the products and services to which they relate are separate from these Terms of Service.
13. Client categorisation
Aegon categorises all of our clients as ‘Retail clients’ under the Financial Conduct Authority rules for all services and transactions. This helps us to make sure that you receive appropriate disclosure documents from us and that you are made aware of everything you need to know in a timely fashion.
Keeping your information secure
Aegon secures your information. However, it's also important that you keep your information and login credentials secure. Read on to find out how.
A phishing email attempts to get you to reveal confidential information by pretending to be from a trusted source. The way it usually works is that you'll be asked to follow a link to a website where you'll then be asked to verify or update your password, user ID or credit card details. These emails and websites look genuine so to protect yourself you should:
- only click on a link if youre expecting the email and know who its from.
- never trust an email purporting to be from us that asks you to verify or update your confidential details.
- type our web address, aegon.co.uk, into your browser, to find what you've been directed to on our site for, if you're in any doubt.
- contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you suspect you've received a phishing email from a source pretending to be us, or you have any other security concerns.
As a general rule, if you're not expecting an email or dont know who its from, don't open it or click on it.
Emailing sensitive information
If contacting us by email, please don't include any personal, financial or banking information as email is not a secure method of communication.
- Use strong passwords. Passwords should not be obvious or guessable (such as based on your pet or favourite team).
- Use different passwords for different accounts. If your login details are stolen from one site criminals will attempt to use them on other sites.
- Periodically reset your passwords.
- Keep your passwords secure.
- Never share your password - not even with friends, family or your adviser.
- If you think the security of your account may have been compromised you should change your account password as soon as possible.
Firewalls protect your computer from unauthorised access and are the starting point for keeping you and your personal information safe. A firewall helps prevent unauthorised access to your PC while allowing you to connect to the internet and use your PC as normal. Its crucial that you keep your firewall up to date and turned on at all times.
Anti-virus software periodically scans for known viruses and prevents them from infecting your PC. As new viruses are being discovered daily, make sure that you have the latest updates installed.
Spyware can track websites you visit, log the keystrokes you make and capture all the information you type. As with anti-virus, anti-spyware software can scan for and remove malicious programs. Make sure you have the latest updates installed.
Up-to-date software - all major application developers will release patches, which fix known problems or enhance the software. You should install updates for your PC and applications as soon as they're available.
Secure your wireless connection
It's important that you secure your wireless connection. This will:
- protect your information from being intercepted, and;
- prevent your broadband connection from being accessed without your knowledge.
Be careful of what you post online and who can access it
By posting to much about yourself online and making it available to others you can put yourself at risk of fraud. If someone is able to find out enough about you they may be able to impersonate you and take actions or obtain more information about you that would be to your detriment.