What happens to your money?01 January 2020 Back to results
The money in your Aegon pension plan is invested for you. We invest the money in your pension plan into funds – and you can choose which funds you want to put it into.
When you joined your company pension scheme your contributions were automatically invested in the scheme's ‘default fund’. This is a fund chosen by your employer for their scheme, and it means you’re invested from day one. And you'll remain invested in the scheme's default fund until you tell us otherwise.
For the Aberdeen pension scheme the default fund was the Scottish Equitable Aberdeen Diversified Growth lifestyle fund(Opens new window).
You can choose to change your investment choice (known as 'switching') online. For more information on the wide range of funds available take a look at our fund page.
You should think carefully about where you invest, as there are risks you need to consider. The value of an investment can fall as well as rise and isn’t guaranteed. You may get back less than the amount originally invested. If you’d like some help with your investment choices you should speak to a financial adviser.
How to choose your investments
To help you select the funds you want to invest in, here are some key questions that'll help narrow down your search.
- How much do you want your investments to grow by?
- How long do you have to achieve your retirement goals?
- How much risk are you prepared to take?
- How do you want to take an income when you come to retire, for example drawdown or annuity?
All investments carry a degree of risk. Risk, in financial terms, means the chance you’ll get less money back than you expected or even than you invested.
Need help investing?
If you want more in-depth, tailored advice, you should speak to a financial adviser.
Viewing a fund’s performance
To help you keep up to date with how your fund is doing, we produce quarterly performance factsheets. You can view these on our website:
- for the additional funds available to the Aberdeen Asset Management Scheme go to your scheme’s fund page, or
- for other funds go to our fund performance section of our website. You can type in the name of the fund you’re looking for or scroll through the list until you find it. Click on the fund name to download a factsheet.
Please remember that the value of any investments may go down as well as up for a number of reasons, for example market and currency movements. You may get back less than you invested.
We’re dedicated to making sure our insured funds are able to meet their commitments to you. We've set up our Fund Governance Group to look after the governance of our fund ranges, and the funds we've created.