What is the claims process?
For protection policies only04 April 2019 Back to results
We know that the process of completing a claim can seem complicated. That's why we offer a tele-claims service that helps you to complete your claim over the phone, removing the complexity. We've also produced a claims guide(Opens new window) to explain the whole process and answer any questions you might have.
When you make a claim, we aim to:
- allocate a claims assessor who will deal with your claim from start to finish;
- provide a personalised, professional, supportive and sympathetic service, right from the start;
- make sure all payments are made accurately and on time;
- look for ways to help you get back into work, and
- make sure you get the best and most appropriate support and treatment.
We want to make you feel as comfortable as possible and help you to submit a claim with the minimum amount of stress, which is why we offer a tele-claims service.
A claims assessor will collect information from you over the phone, rather than using a claims form. Our claims assessors are experienced at working with claimants over the phone. They all have a deep understanding of medical conditions, and how they relate to our insurance definitions.
How it works
Our assessor will contact you to arrange a convenient time to call back. They’ll also tell you what information you'll need to have to hand.
During the call, the assessor will gather all the information you'd normally submit on a claim form. This generally takes around 25 minutes for a critical illness or terminal illness claim and 45 minutes for all other benefits.
If you feel, at any time, unable to continue the call because you're tired or distressed, the assessor can call you back another time.
Once the call is complete, you'll receive a copy of your answers to check and make amendments, where necessary. In the meantime, we’ll request medical information from your GP/Consultant.
With tele-claims, we'll:
- make sure that you receive a compassionate and empathetic service;
- provide a personalised experience;
- manage your expectations at the start of the claims process;
- make a faster decision from when you notify us of a claim, to a decision being made, and
- ask for less medical evidence.