Aegon UK shines spotlight on declined protection claims
To support the publication of its protection claims stats Aegon UK has produced a set of guides that put declined claims under the spotlight.
Aegon highlights that the financial safety net protection offers families and businesses is only as good as the application information they receive.
The “Spotlight on” guides detail the information about protection claims paid in 2019 but go the extra mile and use real examples of declined protection claims to demonstrate some of the common reasons behind claims Aegon has not paid in a bid to help build trust and transparency.
Simon Jacobs, Head of Underwriting and Claims Strategy at Aegon UK said:
“We’re proud to have paid 97% of life claims over the past 3 years, however, it’s really disappointing to have seen an increase in the number of life protection claims we were unable to pay last year due to misrepresentation – particularly around alcohol usage and heart problems.
“The very small number of claims we are unable to pay are due to significant misrepresentation on application forms.
“Alcohol misrepresentation is one of the most common reasons for many of Aegon’s declined claims. One of the cases we share in our life protection claims guide illustrates how a customer didn’t notify us of their 15-year history of heavy drinking and referrals for detox in their application. This particular customer died within 3 months of taking out the policy due to liver changes caused by drinking.
“Our application process clearly asks if you have ever been advised to reduce or stop your alcohol consumption by a doctor, nurse or other medical professional, this includes referral for specialist support such as an alcohol dependence unit or Alcoholics Anonymous. This customer said no.
“We don’t ever want to decline a claim. This should never have been a claim, as had we been aware of the true position, we would have been unable to offer cover to this particular customer.”
“An adviser can often help guide people through the application process, to help get the best terms possible, based on the most accurate information.”
View the range of guides for more information:
- Spotlight on life claims
- Spotlight on critical illness claims
- Spotlight on income protection claims
- Spotlight on terminal illness claims
Notes to Editors
- In the UK, Aegon offers retirement, workplace savings and protection solutions to over three million customers. Aegon employs around 2000 people in the UK and together with a further 800 people employed by Atos, we serve the needs of our customers. More information: aegon.co.uk
- As an international life insurance, pensions and asset management group based in The Hague, Aegon has businesses in over twenty markets in the Americas, Europe and Asia. Aegon companies employ approximately 26,000 people and have millions of customers across the globe. Further information: aegon.com
Figures correct as of November 2019