Aegon UK extends immediate cover facility and improves income protection proposition
- Immediate cover facility extended for Business Protection and Relevant Life
- Routine requirement for evidence of earnings removed for executive income protection and personal income protection*
- Improved medical underwriting limits for income protection
- Introduced fracture cover for personal income protection
Aegon has extended its immediate cover facility for Business Protection and Relevant Life to 180 days for life protection and 90 days for critical illness**.
Aegon’s immediate cover facility provides protection for customers while any necessary medical information is assessed to complete underwriting. Aegon is currently the only provider to offer this type of immediate protection for critical illness benefits.
Improvements to underwriting requirements for income protection
Aegon has also made the income protection application process quicker and easier by reducing the amount of financial and medical underwriting evidence it needs.
Customers now won’t routinely need to provide evidence of earnings for executive income protection and personal income protection, excluding self-employed. For self-employed customers, Aegon has doubled the benefit limit for routinely requiring financial evidence from £75,000 to £150,000 per annum***.
Additionally, Aegon has increased the medical limits for income protection, which will provide an overall improvement to the application journey. Some of the key improvements include:
- Higher benefit amounts before any medical evidence is routinely required
- Removed routine requirement for an exercise ECG for customers below age 50
- Doubled the benefit limit for when a HIV test is routinely required from £60,000 to £120,000 per annum
Alongside these improvements, Aegon has introduced fracture cover for personal income protection at no extra cost. The benefit amount will depend on the location of the fracture****.
Helen Morris, Head of Underwriting & Claims at Aegon comments:
“We’re committed to improving both the adviser and client experience when applying for protection and have made significant investment developing our proposition.
“Our immediate cover facility for Business Protection and Relevant Life customers, available on life and critical illness benefits, is extremely comprehensive and ensures eligible clients can get immediate cover in place while their application is assessed. Aegon continues to lead the way by offering this type of immediate cover for critical illness as well as life protection.
“Removing the routine requirement for evidence of earnings on our income protection products will help advisers get their clients’ protection in place quicker. And by raising the benefit amount before medical evidence is routinely required, we’ll be able to accept more applications immediately.”
*Excluding self-employed applicants where the personal income protection financial limits have doubled from £75,000 pa. to £150,000 pa.
**Read more about Aegon’s immediate cover facility
***To find out more about the changes Aegon has made to its underwriting limits, take a look at its Underwriting limits guide.
****Find out more about the introduction of fracture cover for personal income protection
Notes to Editors
- In the UK, Aegon offers pension, investment and protection solutions to over 3.8 million customers. Aegon employs over 2,000 people in the UK and together with over 1,000 people employed by Atos, we serve the needs of our customers. More information: www.aegon.co.uk Figures correct as at 31/12/2020
- Aegon UK is part of the wider Aegon Group, based in the Netherlands, whose roots go back to the first half of the nineteenth century. Since then, Aegon has grown into an international business, with 30.4 million customers in multiple countries and EUR 979 billion of revenue generating investments as at 30/09/2021. More information on www.aegon.com
The information in this press release is intended solely for journalists and shouldn’t be relied upon by any other persons to make financial decisions.