We're here to help people achieve a lifetime of financial security and this purpose guides everything we do. Profitable and sustainable growth is important to us – and making a positive impact in our communities, and on the environment, is an essential part of this.
We’re passionate about making a difference and realise that everything we do here at Aegon, matters every time – from recycling, to how we travel, offering responsible investment options, ensuring social responsibility and sustainability in our supply chain, to donating to charity or volunteering.
Making a positive impact is a key element of our strategy and integral to the daily decision making. What we do really matters, and we recognise that as a business we can, and want to, make a difference. Here’s a few examples of what we’re doing.
We're a global company but we still play an active role in our local communities by helping to make a better future for those around us.
Some of the ways we do this include funding breakfast clubs in primary schools to give children a free, healthy and nutritional start to their day.
We also support local and national charities through fundraising, donations and our voluntary hours programme, which allows employees to take paid leave to work for charities and non-profit organisations.
We know a company of our size can have a direct impact on the environment, so we're actively making changes across our business locations:
- Our waste is either recycled, processed for compost, or is converted to energy to produce electricity – nothing goes to landfill.
- Introducing a range of compostable catering disposables for our Edinburgh and Witham restaurants – sustainable packaging made from plants using renewable, lower carbon, recycled or reclaimed materials. We’re also working on initiatives to reduce single use plastics.
- Measuring our consumption and reducing waste, earning our Property Services department ISO 14001 accreditation and ISO 50001 accreditation for our UK property portfolio.
- Choosing green energy that's been generated through renewable resources rather than fossil fuels, for our electricity needs.
- Using low emission vehicles in the Aegon fleet of company vehicles, with electric and hybrid cars an option – and we’ve installed electric car charging points at our offices in Edinburgh and Witham.
- Printing our marketing material on paper from sustainable sources, using vegetable-based inks and alcohol-free fountain solution. We’re also going to move all our stationery to green recyclable or reusable products.
- Working on initiatives to grow some of our own food produce on our office grounds in Edinburgh and Witham that can be used as part of our catering operation.
- Introduction of beehives in the garden at our Edinburgh office, to help boost the declining honey bee population.
- We’re doing our bit for insects too, with our wildflower meadow and wild corners in Edinburgh and our insect hotels in Edinburgh and Witham. These spaces create a habitat for all sorts of insects and fungi, as well as offering shelter for small animals.